Swinnerton pottery

Swinnerton china, now widely collected around the world by members of the family and others, was first produced at the Vulcan Works in Burton Place, Hanley, by Bertram Swinnerton (see left), born 1868, the son of John Swinnerton, himself a pottery manager in Stoke, and Eliza (nee Lomax). At first he was just factoring but he was such a successful salesman that he was having difficulty in getting enough supplies, so in 1911 he decided to become a manufacturer himself and in partnership with Walter Lindley, a very experienced potter, bought the Chelsea Pottery in Broad Street, Hanley.

Bertram died in tragic circumstances in 1913 but Lindley carried on, acquiring first Victor Alcock and then William Bloore as partners. The three men built up a substantial group of potteries by acquisition, but continued to trade under the Swinnerton name until the group was taken over by the Lawley Group in 1959 and eventually Royal Doulton in 1973.

For a much fuller history see The Swinnerton Saga, Volume 13, No. 11, August 2006.

Pattern Finder


The Ferry Harvest Majestic
Luxor Nestor Paisley Silverdale
Miscellaneous